You have finally made Germany your destination of choice and ready to undertake your undergraduate degree in Germany. Germany, also known as a land of ideas and opportunities, is a favorite among African students.
Germany is gaining more fame as a study abroad destination because it welcomes international students from all over the world. Germany is home to top universities: universities of applied sciences, technical universities and business schools. They offer bachelor’s degrees, masters degrees and other postgraduate programmes.
You get to travel to a new country, improve your German skills,and an opportunity to study for free in Germany. Yes, that’s right! Education at public universities is, generally, tuition free for African students in Germany.
For those who wish to study in private universities, you may pay tuition fees. The tuition fees charged are cheaper when compared to other study destinations like the US and the UK. You may get to study at any university for free through the German academic exchange service (DAAD). This is an organisation of higher institutions of learning in Germany that offers scholarships to study in Germany.
Most popular undergraduate courses in Germany
The most popular undergraduate degrees offered at German universities are:
- Business Administration
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
What is it like studying in Germany?
You may ask yourself how is the study experience in Germany the truth is that it is the best. While studying in Germany, you participate in many social events and visit the country’s many tourist attractions. If you are adventurous enough, you may also visit neighboring countries like Austria and the Netherlands.
In addition to that, you will meet and interact with other people from other parts of the world. . The best part is you will leave Germany having learned a new language. Sounds exciting, right? even after finishing your undergraduate studies, you will get a chance to stay back and continue with your masters.
There are a good number of masters programs to choose from. So whether you decide to study your bachelors or masters program, Germany will always have something to offer.
Cost of undergraduate study in Germany
All states in Germany charge no tuition fees for their undergraduate programs. The only exception is the state of Baden-Württemberg. BW state charges a tuition fee of 3000 Euros per year to international students.
Universities in other states only charge a small administrative fee of 250 Euros per semester to their international students. The low tuition fee has become a significant attraction to international students. Germany ranks at 4th place among the world’s best study abroad destinations behind the US, Uk, and Australia.
How to apply for an undergraduate degree in Germany
Here a few steps to guide you on your journey towards studying in Germany.
Find out what degree program you would like to study as this will help you in your search.
- Gather all your academic certificates and the most important one being your high school diploma
- If it is your second degree, check the government website to see if your degree is recognized in Germany.
- Check out the language requirements. If the German or English language skills are required, then take a course or an exam before submitting your application.
- Find out the visa requirements like passports and photos
- Find out the deadlines for submitting your university application as some universities accept applications at different times of the year
- Have your proof of finances ready since you will have to show this when applying for a visa
- To better increase your chances of being admitted to a German university, apply to more than one university.