Scholarships at Lewis University
The process of applying for a scholarship to study abroad is not as daunting as it may seem. The key steps are: 1) Researching which scholarships you’re eligible for and the eligibility requirements, 2) Writing your application essay, 3) Completing the online application form, 4) Attaching your documents (e.g., transcript). However, before doing any of these things make sure that you have taken care of all necessary pre-application tasks such as contacting Seed Educational Consulting for advice.
Don’t let the cost of studying abroad get you down. One of the most common misunderstandings about study abroad is that it is too expensive, but what if I told you there were thousands of study abroad scholarships and awards available just waiting for you to apply for them? Who doesn’t like free cash? We all involuntary flash those heart-eye-emoji when we hear about extra money.
Located 35 miles southwest of Chicago, Lewis University is a comprehensive, Catholic university, where the practices of liberal learning, values as well as professional work for expert work come together with a harmony that offers the college its educational identity as well as emphasis. Lewis is just one of 60 colleges worldwide, funded by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, a worldwide Roman Catholic teaching order
At Lewis University undergraduate level scholarships offered to students can reduce tuition by up to 45 percent. The scholarships are automatically awarded during the admission process, so no additional requirements are needed for the scholarship. When students are admitted, they are also given their scholarship details.
Undergraduate scholarships are based on a student’s secondary school national exam results. The higher a students scores, the higher the scholarship award can be. The maximum award is $15,000 USD.
The scholarship is renewed annually, up to four years, as long as your academic performance meets the scholarship requirements. Don’t stress too much though – keeping a scholarship is even easier than earning one in the first place!.
NOTE: Scholarships are not available to students who enrol in accelerated, contract, cohort and second bachelor’s degree programs. A student will only be able to receive two institutional awards.
The table below is a list of scholarships offered to Lewis University students upon successful admission.
FRESHMAN ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS
St. John Baptist DeLaSalle Scholarship
4 Full Tuition
Lewis University Presidential Scholarship
Lewis University Trustee Scholarship
Lewis University Deans Scholarship
Lewis University Achievement Scholarship
LU Success Grant
LU Catholic High School Scholarship
TRANSFER ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDS
LU Transfer Achievement Award
LU Transfer Achievement Award
Lewis University Academic Award
Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship
ENDOWED AND ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIPS
Lewis University offers Endowed and Annual Scholarships to students by generous donors who understand the value of a Lewis University education and believe in the future of Lewis students. Below is a comprehensive of some of the scholarships. For more a complete list of the Endowed and Annual Scholarships contact Seed
A.P. & Gladys Dailey Memorial Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 1964 by a gift to then Lewis College from the Dailey Family.
1. 3.0 GPA or above.
2. Lockport resident (Joliet area resident if none available from Lockport).
3. English major’s preferred, Art and Liberal Arts major’s second choice.
There is no deadline for application of this scholarship and you will be automatically considered based on your completed General Applicati
Aileen S. Andrew Foundation Endowed Scholarship for Math and Science Students
This scholarship assists undergraduate math and science students with financial need. It has been established through the generosity of the Aileen S. Andrew Foundation.
1. Must be an undergraduate student
2. Must be a math or science major
3. Must have financial need
- Award: $3,200
Andrew B. Barber Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship has been established through extraordinary generosity of Mr. Andrew B. Barber, an outstanding civic and business leader in Joliet, former trustee of Lewis University and long-time benefactor.
1. Full-time College of Business students.
2. GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.0 in high school and maintain 3.0 while attending Lewis.
3. Strong interest in the field of business/finance.
4. Genuine financial need.
5. Residents of Joliet (second preference to citizens of Will County)
6. Can reapply for four years. Preference given to current recipients who continue to fulfill criteria for the scholarship before new applicants are considered.
- Award: $3,20
Asiyanbi Family Annual Scholarship
The Asiyanbi Family Annual Scholarship has been established by Richard and Karen Asiyanbi to benefit a Lewis student with a declared major in Social Work or Business.
- Must demonstrate financial need, as determined by the Lewis University Financial Aid Office.
- Must have a declared major in Social Work or Business ( all disciplines )
- Student must be in good academic standing
- Award: $1,500.00
Bernetta Cannon and Kristlin D. Weathersby Nursing Annual Scholarship
This scholarship was established by Bernetta Cannon and Kristlin D. Weathersby to benefit a Lewis University student with a declared major in nursing.
- nursing major
- maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA
- demonstrated financial need as determined by the Lewis University financial aid office
Bernice and Leonard H. Lavin Endowed Scholarship for Inner City Chicagoland Students
This scholarship is for Inner-City Chicagoland students with confirmed financial need was established in 2004 with a generous gift from Bernice and Leonard H. Lavin.
- Award: $1,550
Best Buddies Annual Scholarship
The Best Buddies Annual scholarship was established by Dr. Laura Sloan to benefit two Lewis students who are active full members of the best buddies organization at Lewis University.
- Must demonstrate financial need as determined by the office of financial aid
- Must be of sophomore standing or above
- Must be an active full member of the Best Buddies Organization
- Award: $2,400.0
Br. David Delahanty, FSC Endowed Scholarship
Brother David Delahanty, University President from 1982-1987, dedicated a great portion of his time to the enhancement of the fine arts programs at Lewis. This scholarship was established in 1987 by his family, friends, and Lewis students, faculty and staff.
1. Applicant must have major in Fine Arts (Music, Art, or Theatre).
2. Applicant must demonstrate a genuine financial need.
3. ACT composite score, class rank, and extracurricular activities will be evaluated.
- Award: $1,700
Br. James Gaffney, FSC & Adelbert K. and Margaret B. Kaiser Endowed Leadership Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 2007 with a generous gift from Dr. Paul and Kathleen Kaiser. It honors Dr. Kaiser’s parents.
Minorities and women majoring in the sciences, mathematics or computer science with a demonstrated commitment to community leadership or volunteerism.
- Award: $4,450
Br. James Gaffney, FSC & Helen Prendergast Endowed Leadership Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 2010 with a generous gift from Dr. Paul and Kathleen Kaiser. It honors Mrs. Kaiser’s mother.
1. Awarded to minorities or women majoring in social work with a demonstrated commitment to community leadership or volunteerism.
- Award: $2,850
Br. Joel Damian Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to full-time undergraduate Lewis students who graduated from one of the five Christian Brothers High Schools in the Chicagoland area. Student must be a full-time undergraduate student.
- Supplemental Questions
- Did you attend a Christian Brothers High School in the Chicagoland area?
Br. Lawrence Porretta Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship was created in 1994 with several generous gifts from many of Brother Lawrence’s former students, relatives, colleagues, and friends.
1. Applicant must have a declared major in Social Work or Human Services.
2. Applicant must maintain a 3.0 Cumulative GPA or higher.
3. First preference will be given to renew it for the previous recipient who continues to meet the criteria and second preference will be given to an incoming freshman.
4. Extracurricular activities may be considered.
Br. Leo Forgette Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship in honor of Brother Leo Forgette is available to declared nursing majors.
Br. Owen Meegan, FSC Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 2008 through generous personal gifts and fundraising efforts of the Brother Owen Meegan, FSC Endowed Scholarship Committee to establish this important endowment honoring the memory of a beloved, gifted teacher and mentor to the students of Lewis University.
1. Must have financial need as determined by the Lewis University financial aid office.
2. Student must remain in good academic standing
3. Student must have an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher
Br. William L. Walz, FSC Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship was established by Christian Brothers Services to honor the life and legacy of Brother William L. Walz.
1. Applicant must have demonstrated financial need.
2. Applicant must be a college of business or Computer Science major.
3. Recipient will be a senior with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75.
4. Emphasis will be place on leadership roles undertaken while at Lewis.
5. Recipient will be encouraged to explore internship or part-time employment at Christian Brothers Services.
6. Christian Brothers Services will review a list of finalists.
Brenton and Jean Wadsworth Endowed Scholarship in Honor of Nancy and Thomas Brodnicki
This scholarship, in honor of a former Vice President at Lewis, was established with a generous gift from the Wadsworth Family.
1. Demonstrate financial need.
2. Majoring or participating in Fine Arts or Theatre.
For you to be considered for any of these scholarships, you must have been admitted to Lewis. Contacts our team of expert to receive more detailed information on how you can access these and more study abroad opportunities.
We have helped students get thousands of dollars in scholarships so they could pursue their dreams overseas without worry about finances. Whether it is an undergraduate degree program or vocational training opportunity, let our team work with you to find the right solution for what will best suit your needs and goals. With our guidance, there should be no need to stay home while everyone else goes abroad this summer