Heriot-Watt University in Dubai
Program Offered: Master of Science in petroleum engineering.
The Heriot-Watt University is a satellite campus of the Heriot-Watt University based in Dubai. The university was established in 2005, but its parent university in the UK has been in existence since 1821. The university enjoys a long history and tradition of academic excellence and inspiring professionals to excel in various fields.
The university offers world-class technology and practical research to its students and is taught in the English language. The University opens its doors to students from all over the world, including Africa, Asia, Europe, and America.
The Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering degree at the Heriot-Watt University includes a wide range of petroleum engineering fundamentals.
During the course, the students take part in classroom study as well as in developmental field projects. The developmental field projects can be taken individually or as a group. The project works with the students to apply the ideas and methods learned in the classroom to the real world.
The course aims to prepare graduates technically and equip them with knowledge of the oil and gas industry. The students are provided with state of the art laboratories and classrooms for them to fully maximize their potential.
The course is offered in part-time, full time and online classes. The university is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach in Dubai.
All graduates of the University receive a British degree accredited by the Royal charter in the UK.
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Reservoir Engineering
- Formation Evaluation
- Drilling Engineering
- Well Test Analysis
- Production Technology
- Petroleum Economics
- Reservoir Simulation
- Group Design Project
- Individual Project
The programs at the Heriot-Watt University are recognized worldwide. Graduates from the MSc in petroleum Management are employed by many companies including the National Oil Company ADNOC. They also get job offers from international oil companies.
For a Masters of Science in Petroleum Engineering, a relevant Honors degree from a recognized university is accepted.
Non Graduate candidates holding less than an Honors degree will also be considered for the program. They must have compensating qualifications and experiences.
English Language Requirements
Non-native English students must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5.
Fees and Funding
The MSc in petroleum Engineering program costs a total of AED 136,00 in tuition fees. The university also offers financial support and grants to its students through scholarships. For more information on the scholarships and assistance provided by the Heriot-Watt University Dubai, visit the University website.
Why Choose Dubai For Your Studies
- Dubai is a famous travel destination among world travelers. There is so much to do in Dubai, including Desert safaris, jet skiing, shopping, eating, and entertainment
- Dubai is ranked among the world’s safest cities
- The city of Dubai is the center of trade and commerce for the United Arab Emirates region
- There are ready job opportunities in Dubai for Graduates
- The Universities in Dubai ensure the health and safety of their students by providing living spaces
Dubai Student Visa
Every university applicant requires a student visa to study in Dubai. Here a list of the general requirements for visa applicants for African students.
- A valid passport.
- Four Passport copies.
- Recent twelve passport-sized photographs with a white background
- An offer letter from the relevant University in Dubai.
- A bank statement
- A tenancy agreement. If the student does not have any tenancy agreement they must get a letter from University. This applies if they stay within the University centers of accommodation.
- A copy of the tuition fee receipt for the current year of the program.
- A copy of the visa fee receipt for the current year of the program you intend to study.
- Post-graduate students need to show proof of an undergraduate degree.
In addition to the above requirements, students must undergo a medical test. The test includes a chest x-ray, HIV, Hepatitis B and C, leprosy, tuberculosis, and syphilis. Please note, if you are infected with such diseases, you will be deported except for Syphillis, which can be treated.
Dubai Visas for African Students
Student Visa (previously Tier 4)
Every student who wants to join a university in Dubai must apply for a student visa. For someone to be eligible for a Dubai student visa, one must have a sponsor. A sponsor may be someone already residing in Dubai, family, or friend.
The University that accepts you can also be your sponsor. A student visa is only valid one year at a time and can be renewed after it expires.
Conditions to be eligible for a Student Route visa
- Native English speakers will be required to prove their language skills. This can be done by taking a TOEFL( Test of English as a Foreign Language). In other cases, different universities offer their English tests for their international students.
- Fee for a Dubai Student Visa
- A student visa costs are up to 3000 AED (820 USD) with an expected deposit of AED 1000 (270 USD)
- Biometric residence permit